Salmonella has been found in Maradol Papayas from Mexico. Around two hundred thirty five people have been infected so far. Two total people have actually died from this Salmonella enterica bacterium.
As a raw food vegan, you quickly find out that nature is not perfect. Seventy eight individuals have been hospitalized from this bacterium. These papayas were imported from Mexico.
There are actually four different out breaks that are still being investigated. This outbreak began in late July to middle of August of two thousand seventeen. The following American states have instances where Salmonella found in Maradol Papayas.
* North Carolina
* New Jersey
* New York
* South Carolina
Most people survive this type of food poisoning. However, some people need hospitalization and a few die from Salmonella. Salmonella bacterium is generally carried through food and water.
Abdominal cramps, diarrhea, and fever are common symptoms of Salmonella. This fruit has been traced back to one El Zapotanito farm in Mexico. Believe or not, I don’t recall, no pun intended, eating a Papaya.
I was born in Bogota, Colombia and may have eaten them as a child there. However, since living in the United States I don’t think I have eaten them here. It is advised obviously to not eat this fruit if you think you purchased it from this farm in Mexico.
You can always ask the store or restaurant that has these Papayas. They should be able to trace back their supplier. Also, you want to keep counter tops clean when eating raw fruits and vegetables.
These Papayas are no longer being shipped to the United States, as this batch has reached their shelf life. Also, testing was performed to match Salmonella bacteria found in patients and Papayas sold at El Zapotanito farm. Any contaminated Papayas have since been destroyed.
This outbreak will by no means stop me from eating raw fruits and vegetables.