Did peracetic acid uses on Kiwi fruit cause some students to get sick? I had never fucking heard of peracetic acid until today. Actually, this is a cleaning agent.
Some communist socialist termporary internment camps called schools served kiwi fruit cleaned with peracetic acid. Initially, some people thought that it was the kiwi fruit that caused some allergic reactions. However, now it looks as if it is actually peracetic acid, that caused some students to become ill.
Around 36 six students in Rhode Island had adverse reactions to eating kiwi fruit, cleaned allegedly with peracetic acid. I love kiwi fruit as a mostly raw food vegan. However, this fruit is quite expensive where I’m located.
A government bureaucracy known as the Rhode Island Health Department is investigating these incidents. This department claims they will be testing for peracetic acid levels. This kiwi fruit was obtained from Roch’s Fresh Foods, in West Greenwich Rhode Island.
This business was told to no longer use peracetic acid on any of their produce, until this investigation has been completed. Also, they were told to throw away any remaing fruit. Talk about the old cliche bad for business.
“He could have died. He was the fourth kid reacting. We had a total of ten kids react in our school”
My throat started to hurt and my lip started to puff up.”
Peracetic acid also known as peroxyacetic acid can be quite dangerous when exposed to at certain levels. Adverse reactions include:
* skin irritation
* eyes irritated
* nose irritation
* throat irritation
* lungs irritated
* permanent skin scarring
* cornea scarring
* throat scarring
Higher levels of exposure can cause:
* pulmonary edema
* liver problems
* kidney problems
If at first you can’t explain a problem, then blame the raw fruit, right? Well no actually wrong, potentially in this instance.